Sunlight therapy has been known to mankind for centuries. Benefits of Sunlight therapy were initially recognized in Ancient text (Vedas). Modern science later confirmed benefits of sunlight on human health and proved its disease fighting properties. One can easily obtain sunlight through any of the following techniques of Sunbath:
- Cover your head with a wet towel, take off clothes and let sunlight on all your body parts by either lying down or sitting in the sun. It is advisable to expose your body to mild and not harsh sunlight as harsh sunlight could damage skin. Enjoy sunbath for fifteen to twenty minutes. Once u start sweating, bathe in cold water and thereafter take rest.
- With no clothes on, cover your entire body with a dry towel and enjoy sunbath for 15-20 minutes.
- With no clothes on, let sun rays fall on your body. During the sunbath, keep applying water on your body parts using a brush.
- Enjoy oil massage while taking sunbath.
- Lie down in sun and cover your entire body with banana leaves. This is the best method of sunbathing.
- Wrap a wet towel on your naked body and lie down in the sun.
- Cover your entire body with mud pack and lie down in the sun for 15-20 minutes.
Please note that last two methods i.e. Wrapping wet towel and applying mudpack on body are used in case of special conditions. Ozone layer which lies 20-25 miles above the earth surface filters harmful part of sun rays to protects us. Thickness of Ozone layer is maximum before 8am and after 5pm. Therefore, it is advisable to take sunbath during these hours.
Precautions during sunbath:
- It is important to stay hydrated during sunbath. One should drink at least one glassful of water during sunbath.
- It is important to cover your head with a wet towel during sunbathing.
- After taking sunbath one should bathe with water.
Benefits of Sunbathing:
- Sunbathing improves blood circulation.
- Sunbathing helps in eliminating toxins from the body.
- Sun rays help in synthesis of vitamin D in presence of ergosterol calcium found under skin. Therefore sunbathing everyday in mild sunlight (between 6am and 8am) helps infants strengthen their soft bones. Also, Calcium and Phosphorus are useful to body only in presence of vitamin D. Research studies suggest that UVB rays promote synthesis of vitamin D3 in human body deficiency of which affects calcium metabolism which further leads to increase in blood pressure.
- Sunbathing improves conditions such as Osteoporosis, Paralysis, Gout, Tuberculosis and other skin ailments.
- Scientific experiments in winter season on 34 sad, disinterested, aloof, Irritated, and lazy people have revealed that sunbathing for 3 hours a day helped 30 of them normalize.
Science behind Sunlight Therapy:
Pineal gland of our brains secrete a hormone called Melatonin. This hormone plays an important role in helping us fall asleep. However, overproduction of this hormone leads to laziness. Production of Melatonin increases during dark/night and falls during daytime. Melatonin production is affected by intensity of sunlight; while Blue/Green rays hinder Melatonin production, Violet/Red rays improve it. Therefore, Sunbathing act at hormonal level to keep disorders at bay. Scientists at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have conducted various experiments on Melatonin and concluded that intensity of Sunlight, spectrum and time affect health. Those who do not get exposed to sunlight may develop physical and psychological disorders.
Please note that excessive sunbathing may lead to skin cancer, skin irritation, wrinkles, glaucoma and complete blindness. Therefore, it is advisable to sunbathe in moderation.